Sunday, August 5, 2018

Repainting a dresser.....again!

   I can't believe how fast this summer has flown by.  I have been so busy at the Rescue Rehab cabin and finding new items for  it, it seems like I have barely blinked and the summer is winding down.
    My latest large furniture make-over has been done and I am just now getting a chance to do a blog post about it.  I painted this dresser once before.  I was sure it had only been about a year ago, but when I went through my blog, I found out it was actually about 3 years ago.  I was shocked, to say the least, that it had been that long ago.  This mahogany dresser was painted white and the new owner wanted it mint green, so I stripped and painted it mint green three years ago.
    Fast forward nearly three years and a new owner's daughter chose a  bolder look for the dresser.  Now, I've said it in the past, I do not enjoy removing one of my paint, it really is a lot of work.  When I paint a piece, I paint it to last and if it is mahogany, which bleeds through, or a piece with a questionable history, I use stain blocker, then paint, then topcoat.  This piece took a LOT of stripper and more elbow grease before it was ready for its new paint.  After stain blocker, paint, topcoat, faux distressing and stained top, I had some unexpected crackling, which I've never had, but the paint was still solidly on and the new owner did not mind it, since it added to the distressed look.  I've never had this happen before and not sure what caused it.  I would have loved to have brought back the mahogany finish, but the customer only wanted that on the top.  Since the owner was moving we opted to just leave these knobs on for now and she will replace them later.

Shared at: