Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Home Sweet Home

This little table has been around Rescue Rehab home base for several years.  I cannot remember where it came from or anything about it.  One of my kids grabbed it early on and asked if they could paint it and use it in their room.  They also grabbed a jar of thick, yellow homemade chalk paint and applied it a little too generously, complete with a few drips.  I decided to give the table a makeover, but honestly, that paint was stuck on like concrete.  When I was growing up I had an old dresser that had many coats of thick white paint.  I loved the look of that, and would love to have that in my home now, I have no idea what happened to it.  I decided this little table would be cute with a similar look.  I mixed up a unique color by combining an olive colored chalk paint with an aqua.  I purposely stirred but didn't totally blend the two colors.  In person you can see some blue running through the green.  I added a transfer and it has a distressed look to it.  I lightly distressed some areas on the table, so that the original yellow peaks through, then top coated it with poly.  It is a nice sturdy little table, with a time worn look.  The dimensions are:  about 12 1/2 in back to front, about 22in across the front, and about 20-21 in tall.


Thursday, January 31, 2019

Writing Desk Update

I forgot to get a before picture....are you surprised?  Lol, seems to be a mistake I make frequently.  This is probably from the 70's.  It was made in Thailand.  It is all wood and really nicely made.  It has been exposed to varying temperatures and humidity, though and that has cause some imperfections.  Still, it is cute and was an excellent candidate for a make-over.  On the front there are two figures that are connected to slides that come out as the drop-down front is opened.  I put some felt pads, where the top rests, to reduce damage from friction.  After I painted the  outside, I used hand rubbed wax, but the wax seemed yellow it, so after re-sanding I painted and did not add any top coat.  I am sure that poly would have pulled out old stains also, but just chalk paint didn't seem to cause any yellowing.  Inside I removed some of the dividers, but found later, when putting them and the drawers back in that they have swollen and were difficult to replace. Sometimes that is what happens with an older piece.  I did add poly to the inside to protect the surface in case it is actually used as a writing desk.  I am happy with how this piece has turned out and look forward to delivering it to its owner.